DSD Laboratories provides functional and technical Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to include “hybrids”–both functional and technical experts–in support of numerous DoD programs. These experts support requirements definition, test preparation and performance, helpdesk, and system administration support to logistics, medical, force protection, and financial systems. Our SMEs average 10 years of experience supporting system development and sustainment, data/statistical analysis of critical weapons systems and weapons systems components. They provide support to the software development community by ensuring the developers understand the field-users’ technical and functional requirements of the application. They support authoritative data identification and capture activities and identify where requirements have not been implemented or properly implemented in the system.
Our experts answer questions from the user community and represent them in ensuring all operational, performance, and security requirements are met. In many cases our SMEs oversee the work of the software development contract and perform acceptance testing to determine if the system performs as advertised. DSD personnel are involved in the development of architecture and design artifacts, requirements documentation and traceability, configuration management, testing, and software deployment activities. They participate in requirements reviews, integrated product teams, test planning meetings, and Functional and Physical Configuration Audits.
Our SMEs may be domain experts (Supply, Maintenance, Transportation, etc.) or system experts. They come with specific knowledge of a domain (e.g. Depot Maintenance) or system (e.g. Cargo Movement Operations System). They support the program office with the knowledge required to ensure solution implementation. DSD personnel support the development of user guides, user interface requirements, test plans, use cases, and test scripts. They manage the requirements and configuration baseline for both the test and production environments. Our SMEs develop training documentation as well as site training for the functional community
These skills enable technical excellence:
- In-depth and lengthy experience first in using customer’s systems and then in supporting the user base
- Honed ability to articulate users’ point-of-view to the development community
- Full capability to evaluate systems to ensure the requirements have actually been satisfied and implemented in a manner actually usable to field personnel
- Knowledgeable and accurate development and operational support
- Systems and applications optimized for both the mission and those that perform it
- Impartial and timely information and advice to ensure outcomes meet operational needs